Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Journal entry 1!



Journal entry 1!!!!!
Chapter’s 1-3

First impression’s on this book? I think it’s great! The way the author leave’s out certain parts as to what happened and why it happened makes me want to keep reading! It’s inevitable that it will be explained in the future and for that reason, I want to keep reading to find out. The author describes only the main characters, which I find odd because he (the author) only briefly describes the other children on the island. I’m thinking its showing the importance of the kids as individuals; they will probably be addressed as a group of children instead of individual children. Don’t you guys feel bad for “piggy”! He’s being bullied by kids that are younger then him! Even Ralph has succumbed to the peer pressure. When the conk is blown and all the kids on the island emerge from all around, they quickly decide a leader. Its obvious that even after coming to a vote making Ralph the leader, there will be complications with other’s (singling out Jack) wanting the power Ralph has just received. I can see that the children on the island are very optimistic about being rescued, not realizing where they are, help, like Ralph explains, might take a long time. One more observation I have is that there mostly focusing on killing pigs and signaling boats passing bye. They haven’t killed a pig yet and they’re signaling for boats on an island with civilization nowhere in sight. I’m thinking they’re starting off on the wrong foot, does anyone agree? The book so far has been interesting, making me want to read more to un-ravel un-answered questions. 
P.S I just came back from cadet's half an hour ago. So please excuse my tardiness.

Mathieu Berlinquette        

4 comments:

  1. Matt, I don't agree that they are starting off the wrong way. I thought starting a fire for a signal would be a good idea because without one there would be a much smaller chance of getting rescued. Though I do agree that killing pigs shouldn't be one of the first things to do.


    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I need to explain a little more, them making a fire to signal ships passing by is waste a of time when they should be setting up an establishment. I used to watch allot of survivor as a child and normally the team who is screwing around normally, in the end, ends up suffering. You may be surprised on how important comfort is. I've done a survival camp in cadets where i had to sleep under cloth and on the dirt. Not enjoyable and kept me tired during the three day period. After they are done a make a suitable camp with a steady supply of food, then they can make a signal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to disagree with you I think that the first three chapters were long and boring. I really do feel bad for Piggy though I think that the other kids should give him a break I mean they are all in this together now :)
    ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete