Tuesday, 20 November 2012


Journal Entry 1 -  Sound of the Shell/ Fire on the Mountain/ Huts on the Beach.     Kirsch

I really enjoyed the first quarter of the book. I was a bit confused when the author, William Golding, used the word conch because I didn't know what a conch was. But as I read through the chapters I found out that conch is another name for a shell.  Also in the first chapter, I did not understand why a choir would be marching as if they were in an army. I think the system where the boys can only speak when they are holding the shell is a great way to get everybody to listen.  Ralph is a great leader for the group of school boys. He is supportive and is open to suggestions.  Chapter one really got me hooked on the book and I could not stop reading after that.  
The one thing that really bugged me in chapter two was how badly the boys treat Piggy. They rejected him because he is fat and has asthma. They constantly call him fatty and tell him to shut up. It just makes me feel bad because he is just trying to help and they bully him.
I like how the boys made a fire, to alert a ship of their presence on the island. It is a common survival technique.
Lastly, I enjoyed how the boy’s goal on the island is not only to get rescued but to have fun, with no grownups around. I would have a blast on the island too.  It is a great idea to have people doing jobs such as hunting and looking after the fire. But Ralph and Jack lack the discipline needed to keep the boys from slacking off. Overall the first quarter of the book really got me hooked and I can’t wait to read more.         

3 comments:

  1. Yes I agree it would be fun to be on an island without adult's. ;P But sooner or later these kids are going to get a major reality check.Good journal overall!

    Mathieu Berlinquette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsch, I also think that Piggy is very poorly treated although he is trying to help and I find he has the best ideas. I also think it was a very good idea to start a fire for a signal to get rescued. That's probably one of the first things I would do if I were on the island.

    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah for sure Matt they are definitely going to get a reality check. Kirsch I would have to disagree with you on how the book gets you hooked, I find it very hard to concentrate on reading on the book, and I think the first chapters were boring, it probably gets better though.
    ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete