Sunday, 25 November 2012

Journal #1 ~Sophie


Up to this point I am not enjoying The Lord of the Flies. The reasons I do not like the book so far are because the characters are unintelligent, and not very interesting, for example, most of the children take off their clothes as soon as they get on the island like it’s a beach party, aside from Ralph and Jack none of them are really thinking ahead. None of the children are reacting like they should, most people after being through a plane crash and being abandoned on an island would be freaking out, especially if they were the age of the children on the island. The only person that has really reacted to what has happened is Simon.  I find it very hard to relate to any of the characters and develop feelings for them. The pace of the story is very slow, nothing really interesting has happened so far. Most of the first three chapters involve just introducing the setting. A few symbols have been introduced such as the conch and “the creepers”. I am looking forward to figure out what they symbolize. I find that the chapters are very long, and it is hard to stay interested, I usually zone out, and have to reread the chapter again to fully understand it. I still have nine chapters to go so I am hoping that the pace of the story picks up and the characters show more depth. Most people who see that I am reading The Lord of the Flies tell me that it takes a bit for the plot to become interesting. I am expecting to see more action in the next few chapters, perhaps something about “beasty” the large snake that several children have mentioned.  I am also expecting a fight to break out in between Ralph and Jack.

~Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Sophie, I kind of agree with you that the book isn't very interesting because I thought it would be better but I still find it a bit exciting. I also find it hard to relate to many of the characters because only Ralph, Piggy, Jack and Simon a bit were described well. I don't find the reactions were very realistic either.


    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the author should describe how the other characters are feeling, maybe they are having reactions like you would expect. All of them seem happy to be there which is not what you would expect, hopefully they act more appropriately later on.
    ~Sophie

    ReplyDelete